Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: 'Law & Order: SVU', "Official Story"

The Law & Order: SVU episode "Official Story" is one mother of a tale. One where I need to use bullets instead of long ass paragraphs. A few things tuggged at me with this fairly well episode (written by Law & Order: CI and LOLA writer, Peter Blauner):
  • This episode seemed too 'political' and it showed too much 'intent'.
(Left to Right) Guest star John Doman (William Rand), Dann Florek (Capt. Don Cragen), Danny Pino (Det. Nick Amaro), Guest star Harry Connick, Jr. (EADA David Haden), and Mariska Hargitay (Det. Olivia Benson), in the episode "Official Story".
I get the style of the Law & Order franchise, today's issues often come into play with many crimes (real world or fictional). But why the hell was the Special Victims Unit investigating William Rand’s (guest star John Doman) company’s involvement in the cover up of a years old rape in Iraq? The Special Victims Unit isn't some kind of NYPD/military special force, which investigates things of that nature. And of course, with SVU running things, the witness typically is killed. Are all the police officers in the NYPD this careless and in over their heads, I think NOT.
  • Too much of Nick & Marie Amaro (Danny Pino & guest star Laura Benanti)?
Again, I understand, Amaro has a life outside the SVU, as the other characters do, but are we seeing a bit much of Mrs. Amaro and young daughter Zara? I feel queasy here, I have the urge to yell "STABLER FAMILY DRAMA", I thought Warren Leight was trying to verge away from the personal lives being involved in the cases. It wasn't direct involvement, but they had enough involvement in this already mess of a case. I'd like to continue seeing Laura Benanti come in to play the sexy military wife of Nick Amaro, but in a normal capacity (like Kathy was for Stabler in the first season of SVU). NO AMARO FAMILY DRAMA PLEASE?!
  • Too much hype for Harry Connick, Jr., not enough courtroom scenes.
Guest star Harry Connick, Jr. (EADA David Haden) and Mariska Hargitay (Det. Olivia Benson) after kissing in "Official Story".
I like the character, EADA David Haden, and I like what he's doing for Olivia (Mariska Hargitay), making her smile, after 13 years, she needs to seek finding a relationship (and having Calvin, guest star Charlie Tahan). But Harry Connick, Jr. pissed me off last night, I thought we were going to see Connick getting down in the courtroom and taking it to Olivia's bedroom.

I compare Connick, Jr. to Jeff Goldblum in the 9th season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Connick's acting was so wooden, a plank of wood would have probably done a better job! Connick singing and looking good on the eyes doesn't mean jack if he can't act! I hoped with Connick coming in, courtroom scenes would have been added to these already wonderful episodes.

Because it's LAW & ORDER: Special Victims Unit, emphasis on "Law & Order". I miss powerful and compelling testimony from the victims and some of the perpetrators, I miss the forensics and medical experts battling it out on the stand. I miss seeing ADA's Cabot and Novak grill the hell out of people on the stand. I assumed Harry Connick, Jr. was going to be doing that during the day and having dinner with Olivia at night... guess one can't be too hopeful.

Three of my favorite episodes this season are: "Scorched Earth", "True Believers", and "Spiraling Down", mostly because of the court scenes! Look, I love a good compelling confession in the Law & Order world as much as the next fan, but I have to scream this: "STOP MAKING SVU; LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT".

Am I displeased with the whole episode "Official Story"? - No, just certain points I feel could have made this episode even better than it was. Personally I found it to be a damn good episode: for Law & Order: Criminal Intent. But, I enjoyed seeing the scenes with Holt McCallany last night and even Laura Benanti, she and Danny Pino are "the perfect match" as Mr/Mrs. Amaro!

But as for Harry Connick, Jr., unless he turns into Linus Roache, I don't think I'm going to want to see him continue his role of EADA Haden. But this is just one man's opinion.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit returns Wednesday, February 8th at 10PM/9c on NBC, and it's one you don't want to miss!

No comments: